The 2017 Canada Fintech forum hosted in collaboration with Finance Montreal is focused on the emergence of AI in Financial Services and is the largest forum for Fintech in Canada. This forum has brought forth 1300+ ecosystem players from Fintechs, Insurtechs, Regtechs, Incumbents, Consulting firms, Law firms and more to collectively understand how we can better develop meaningful partnerships and cater to the long term transformation of the of the industry.
The forum kicked off in full swing with opening remarks from Carlos Leitao -
Minister of Finance for Quebec as well as Michael Denham - CEO and President of BDC. They highlighted the importance of strong banking system to fuel a strong Canadian economy, how Montreal has become a global hub for Artificial Intelligence, as well as announced of a $75M AI fund launched by la Caisse de Depot de Québec in partnership with Desjardins Group. They emphasized the importance of trust required by all ecosystem players in the market and the ecosystem to remove the notion of competition and enforce collaboration. Later in this post, you can read a Fireside chat I had with Michael Denham of BDC to get his thoughts on Montreal, BDC and the larger Fintech and emerging technology ecosystem.
1. Announcement of the $75M AI Fund launched by la Caisse de Depot de Québec in partnership with Desjardins Group
2. Claude Guay, IBM's General Manager of Global Business Services introduces the notion of Innovation Garages for ecosystem collaboration and rapid production
Claude Guay on The Digital Reinvention of Finance with Innovation Garages
Claude Guay, General Manager of Global Business Services at IBM speaks to the importance of leveraging of the ecosystem to advance innovation in the Canadian market. He highlights 3 great examples of Fintechs: WealthSimple, eSignLive, and Sensibill who have been driving the Canadian Fintech market with Wealthsimple reaching $1B in assets under management this year.
3. Deloitte and Element.AI collaborate to host an AI workshop at the Deloitte Technozone for ecosystem players concerned about AI for their domains
Deloitte and Element.AI collaborate to host an AI workshop for Fintech ecosystem players at the Canada Fintech Forum
Jas Jaaj, Deloitte Canada's AI leader and Karthik Ramakrishnan Element.AI's Director of Strategy and Solutions hosted a workshop in the Deloitte Technozone to understand thoughts and perspectives on AI from ecosystem players and to provide an overview of the space from their individual perspectives.
4. Kalepso and Flinx win the Pitch Competition hosted by BDC and are rewarded with funding and professional services
Kalepso and Flinx win the Canada Fintech Forum Pitch Competition hosted by BDC
Hosted by Peter Misek, Partner at BDC IT Venture Fund,10 startups in the Fintech, Insurtech, Regtech spaces pitched to a panel of judges from large institutions in the Fintech ecosystem for a chance to showcase their offering to a crowd of Fintech supporters, win funding as 'cash is king' and professional services to guide them in their growth.
5. A fireside chat I had with CEO and President of BDC Michael Brennan on Fintech growth and Adoption in Canada and how his organization is serving as a key player in the larger ecosystem
6. Pivotal and Desjardins deliver a practical 3 pronged approach to transforming development practices
Transforming Development Practices by Pivotal and Desjardins
Exciting and very practical talk by Desjardin's Luc St-Arnaud, responsible for the transformation of development practices at this largest association of credit unions in North America. He very succinctly presented a 3-pronged approach:
It was quite the eventful day with profound speakers and enriching content. Stay tuned for more insights from Day 2!